Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Chinesta
So maybe the name needs work but hey, China plus siesta=chinesta, right?  It makes sense to me.  Anyways, so now that my tenure at China is coming to a close I am noticing things that perhaps I had noticed but it hadn't penetrated.  one of these things is that the chinese have a love affiar with sleeping, but they do not do with what I would say is a normal sleep pattern.  First, many many shops trhat you pass you will see chinese sales people sitting at the front desk with their head on the table fast asleep.  I at first thought it could have been because there were so many workers at a particular store but this is true even in stores that may only have one or two people.  Then I thought perhaps it was the oppposite, as I mostly see it in non franchise stores, things that appear  more family owned.  I thought that maybe because they have only one or two people that work at the store so they work like a 15 hour week and so catch a nap whenever they can.
BUT...there is also a two hour lunch time that is fairly standard for all chinese businesses, and in all the teacher offices at my school they have fold up cots to sleep during the lunch period.  SO it is not limited to only sales people.  I have come to the conclusion that in China there is a completely different sleep schedule than in the US, partly because of the fact that as I've said earlier there is a big emphasis put on social activities.  I live outside of the gym and when I go to bed(usually at 11 or after) they are still playing badminton.  So since they are all up late it makes sense for them to have a nap time.  AND after thinking about, I like the nap time idea.  I mean why do only toddlers get the benefit of having a nap time, do we not all know people that maybe get a bit tetchy and could use a chance to relax and recharge?  When back in the states I will probably at least think very hard about starting a nap time movement to instate the Nap for all, apple juice will be optional, but I'm all for that as well...with animal crackers if you're good.

No comments: