Monday, October 22, 2007

A word on Presents

Giving presents in China is something that is done much more often than in America.  For instance, when we first came to our school we gave a present to the principla and our contact teacher.  Since then, we as teachers have recieved several, well not several but a few presents from the school and in one instance from my students.  I thinkied I already talked about Teacher's Day when the students all gave flowers and sometimes cards and in one case a small statue of two pigs smiling and hugging and from the school a large box of small mongolian milk boxes.  For the Autumn Festival the school gave me shampoo and body wash and also moon cakes, which at some point I am going to send home examples of.  I just got a new present from my school in the form of toilet paper and kleenex.  I'm not sure how to react to these presents.  I mean on the one hand of course any time someone gives you a present it is a very nice gesture and this is a very nice gesture and I can certainly use all the things that have been given, on the other hand I have to say that when i came to China I did not expect to be given these as presents.  It is very nice of them and I really do appreciate them but it is just a cultural difference that I still take some pleasure in noting.

No comments: